Worried about coronavirus and the markets? How you can be prepared when it’s bumpy out there
2020年世界杯小组赛So the markets are a little bumpier than normal right now due to the uncertainty of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and how it may affect the economy. And that has some people on edge.
2020年世界杯小组赛While volatility and the sting of short-term losses might leave you feeling anxious, there are some ways that may help you handle the emotions that can go along with saving for your retirement.
Here are three things you can do to help be prepared and push forward with your plans to save and invest for the long-term.
1. Let the markets be volatile. But focus on stability.
“Market volatility can be a good thing,” says Stanley Poorman, CFP®, a financial professional with Principal®.
2020年世界杯小组赛That sounds weird, right?
“When the news talks about volatility,” Poorman says, “it’s usually just when the market’s gone down. But healthy markets have some volatility. They go up and down. And volatility is part of what helps allow equity markets to deliver returns over time.” But volatility is a short-term phenomenon.
Healthy markets have some volatility.”
Stanley Poorman, CFP®, financial professional with Principal
One of the secrets to being a prepared investor is focusing on a long-term plan—such as your retirement goals—so you can live the life you want when you retire. And that could be up to 30 (or more) years in the future.
Consider basing your investment choices and changes on a set of stable, long-term investment goals and your ultimate retirement date, not daily news about short-term market swings. Keeping your eye on the destination may help you ride out the bumps along the way.
2. Focus on what you can control with your retirement savings.
“Since you can’t control market volatility, it’s better to spend your mental energy on factors you can control,” Poorman says.
- For example, a diversified mix of investments options may better align your account with your tolerance for risk and may help smooth out the ups and downs of the market.
“Not all investment options go up and down at the same time,” Poorman says. For example, having some funds in investment options may help dampen the volatility from your investments.
- Your investment mix may need shifting occasionally to keep everything in balance with your long-term goals. If this is right for your goals, you could set up . Then mark your calendar (or set up automatic rebalancing online) to review your investment elections. That way, investment changes can be thoughtful and regular, rather than impulsive and reactive.
... spend your mental energy on factors you can control.”
- Or just let an investment option handle asset allocation and rebalancing for you altogether. “A target date fund uses a professional manager to allocate assets with a particular retirement date in mind,” Poorman says. “These options can help take some of the stress out of the equation. You pick the date closest to when you’d like to retire and let the professional do the work of researching, investing, and rebalancing.” It should be noted that you can always select one of the other investments in the target date fund series if another mix of investments better aligns with your risk tolerance.
- You can also control how much you’re contributing. If your account takes a dip, you could increase contributions to help to make up for lower returns. If markets have dropped, your contributions may go a bit further now by allowing you to buy more.
3. Talk to an investment professional for some perspective.
“Sitting down with a financial professional can lend perspective to your plans,” Poorman says. “They can help you understand what’s happening and how it affects your retirement.”
And if you don’t have a solid retirement plan, they can get you started.
2020年世界杯小组赛Whether you need to find a financial professional or just touch base with your current one, put a date on your calendar right now for this conversation so you can better navigate the next bumpy markets.
What to do next?
- Are you investing and near retirement? If market volatility makes you nervous, here are a few ways to counter those reactions when it comes to your hard-earned retirement dollars.
- Want help with your retirement journey? A financial professional can help you put together a plan or discuss how markets are affecting your retirement. If you’d like to meet face to face, find one near you.
About Target Date investment options: 2020年世界杯小组赛Target date portfolios are managed toward a particular target date, or the approximate date the investor is expected to start withdrawing money from the portfolio. As each target date portfolio approaches its target date, the investment mix becomes more conservative by increasing exposure to generally more conservative investments and reducing exposure to typically more aggressive investments. Neither the principal nor the underlying assets of target date portfolios are guaranteed at any time, including the target date. Investment risk remains at all times. Asset allocation and diversification do not ensure a profit or protect against a loss. Be sure to see the relevant prospectus or offering document for full discussion of a target date investment option including determination of when the portfolio achieves its most conservative allocation.
The subject matter in this communication is educational only and provided with the understanding that Principal®2020年世界杯小组赛 is not rendering legal, accounting, investment advice or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all matters pertaining to legal, tax, investment or accounting obligations and requirements.
The commentary represents the opinions of Principal Global Investors. It should not be considered investment advice. No forecast based on the opinions expressed can be guaranteed and may be subject to change without notice. No investment strategy, such as diversification, can guarantee profit or protect against loss.
2020年世界杯小组赛Investing involves risk, including possible loss of principal.
Asset allocation and diversification do not ensure a profit or protect against a loss.
Equity investment options involve greater risk, including heightened volatility, than fixed-income investment options.
Fixed-income investments are subject to interest rate risk; as interest rates rise their value will decline.
Insurance products and plan administrative services provided through Principal Life Insurance Co. Securities offered through Principal Securities, Inc., 800-547-7754, member SIPC and/or independent broker-dealers. Principal Life, and Principal Securities are members of the Principal Financial Group®, Des Moines, Iowa 50392. Principal Global Investors leads global asset management and is a member of the Principal Financial Group®.